Well the time is here to get out the clubs and maybe even get on the course!
Some people say “my best games, are the first games of the year”. How is that possible? Expectations can be certainly lower at this time of year, even if you have been practicing thru the winter. What does this look like?
- Pressure is softer in the hands, arms and shoulders.
- Pace of the swing is generally smoother and easier.
- Focus is narrowed to just “hitting the ball”.
- Poor shots are easier to excuse and forgotten much quicker.
- Short game and putting pressure is kept in check, since course conditions “are not great”, so why should you expect your touch to be.
Once you have played a few games, you then start thinking about how to do things better. This is quite normal to rationalize and practice on the driving range, but don’t take the practice routine and expectations on the course. You will be disappointed!
On the golf course, remember what you felt in the first few games of the season, see the target and hit the ball to the target.